1) S. Rachmaninoff, Prelude in C-sharp minor Op. 3 no. 2
While Classical Music is often associated with soothing relaxation, it can also be electrifying and earth shaking! This is one of Rachmaninoff's most famous pieces, also known as "The Bells of Moscow". I've included a version where it is played on electric guitar and transforms into a rock song.
This piece is filled with chords, creating a thick texture and powerful sound. In the final section when the main theme returns, the music is written on 4 staves to accommodate the amount of notes and huge range!
- In the final section, how many notes do you think are played in each chord?
- How can you produce a powerful sound on the piano?
2) Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter
Harry Potter music is back by popular demand! The music we hear in movies is often played by orchestras. Watch each instrument perform its magic, each with it's own tone and colour!
- Do you recognize any of the instruments?
- Each instrument has its own unique sound. Which instruments did you like?