In honour of Sergei Rachmaninoff's birthday (born April 1st, 1873) this week's listening will feature 2 of his compositions!
1) S. Rachmaninoff/Igor Roma, Italian Polka
A theme by Rachmaninoff arranged by Igor Roma for duet. Enjoy the fun 4 hands performance!
- Would you like to play a duet in the future? Why or why not?
- Coordinating your playing with another person is no easy task! What are some important things to keep in mind if you were to play a duet?
2) S. Rachmaninoff, Moments Musicaux, op. 16 no. 4 Presto
The piano developed and grew dramatically through history. One of the changes this allowed was music with a much wider dynamic range - something Rachmaninoff clearly made use of, moving to from FFF to pp (pianissimo) in only 2 bars. Enjoy this exciting rollercoaster ride!
- Can you find how many "p's" are in the quietest piano spots? How many "F's" are in the biggest forte?